Friday, July 19, 2013

DIY Bug Spray

 Sunset at our new home :)

Well I haven't been blogging as much because we closed on our first house the end of June and have been in full swing of getting settled, getting control of the yard and garden areas as well as attempting to unpack which is a slow but steady process with daily life and kiddos in the mix. We are very blessed and have loved living out in the country again so far. Which brings me to the reason for my post, the bugs have been atrocious. In town the mosquitos were bad, but out on our property they have made their presence a bit more known I think because of the irrigation that happens all around us and on our property as well. The inspiration for my recipe was from Wellness Mama and another blog post I found on pinterest. To check them out follow these links: Wellness Mama Herbal Bug Spray & Make-it-Natural-Mosquito-Spray

My recipe:
  • Recycled a 8.5 ounce detangler spray bottle (At my local health food store I found some amber bottles with sprayer tops, it's a small one that I will probably carry some of this spray in, in the baby bag or my purse.
  • Fill half way with Witch Hazel (very easily found at your local drug store or even grocery store sometimes, I found some at Shop-ko but I am sure Walmart has some as well)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of glycerin *optional* but I have seen it in many natural retail bug sprays
  • Fill the rest of the way with distilled or bottled water until about 3/4 full
  •  Essential Oils: I used several drops of Lemongrass, a few drops of Texas Cedarwood, a few drops of Lavender, Peppermint, Clove bud, and Lemon. I have a big bottle of Citronella but couldn't find it because I am still unpacking, but when I do find it I plan to add a few drops... At least one of these oils are a must: Citronella, Texas Cedarwood, Lemongrass, or Geranium. Citronella is a very common ingredient in many insect repellents. I may add a few drops of tea tree oil as it is a good tick deterrent. Some other oils you can add are Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Catnip. See the photo below for some great oils suggestions also. 
    You need about 40-50 drops of oil, I would say 15 drops of one of oils I listed as a must to start with and then add what you want of the other oils. I added 15 Lemongrass and 6 Texas Cedarwood. You can add a few more drops to make it stronger, just up to your best judgement. Just remember too much of a good thing can result in a bad thing.
  • Once you are done adding your essential oils fill the rest of the way with water, you can also make this in a glass jar with a lid. I put the lid on my recycled detangler bottle and shook it vigorously so it would mix well. If you are mixing this in a glass jar it will appear cloudy at first.
Now you are all set to use it! :) Enjoy.

*Note* for children I would spray on a small area to make sure they do not have an allegic reaction to the essential oils used in this recipe. You can even add a little bit of a carrier oils in this recipe such as jojoba, almond, coconut or olive to prevent a reaction.  


3 comments:

  1. Mosquitoes, among other insects that may be present in a household, are the most persistent, annoying, and dangerous! Wearing protective clothing, regular cleaning, and timely smoking the area are the most common things to do. Making your own bug spray can also come in handy. Why stop at some point when you can have multiple protection against them, right? Thank you for sharing your recipe!
    Anthony @ EcoZapp Pest and Termite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my blog post! Also some very great tips Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...