Saturday, April 13, 2013

March For Babies


*I will be dedicating my walk to my niece Alyse.Sweet Baby Alyse became an Angel 5/7/13 her mom and dad welcomed her into the world to say goodbye 5/8/13. Alyse had a rare virus Cytomegalovirus that led to anemia which led to build up of fluid called Fetal Hydrops. She was given a blood transfusion was in utero and her little body was not able to recover and her heart ultimately stopped beating. She is dearly missed by her parents and family

This cause is very dear to my heart for many reasons and brought really close to home with our neice. *

Please help support The March for Babies. I was invited to help walk and raise money for March of Dimes that hosts "March For Babies" events all over the country. I would love to not only reach my fundraising goal but also encourage support and awareness for premature babies and infant loss. Experiencing Pre-term Labor and hearing the stories from friends that had premature babies that had extended stays in the hospital is what has propelled me to walk for this cause. I feel so fortunate that Grace stayed in my womb for as long as she did, but not all moms are as fortunate and have many more challenges ahead of them.

In April of 2011, Jed was out of town working when I was 34 weeks pregnant and I went into preterm labor, my very kind neighbor drove me to the hospital and Jed made it over the Big Horn Mountain Range in between Powell and Sheridan Wyoming the fastest I have ever seen. Thankfully my labor was stopped, but the medication I was given was heavy duty and could have caused a heart attack so my OBGYN took me off of it at my follow up appointment a couple days later. I would really like to see more research done improving  and learning effective ways of helping women and their babies in these situations. Grace did end up being born 4 days before she reached 37 weeks and in the birth world 37 weeks is considered "to term", even so it would have been nice to have her in my womb just a bit longer. I thank God that she was able to breath on her own and that the only complication we had to face was Jaundice from being early.

Just about month ago Grace at age 1 1/2 years old was hospitalized with RSV, she went in struggling to breath and was at 70% oxygen in the ER, which is very very low. I thank God for watching over her that day. Premature babies are often at much higher risk of developing infections in infancy and toddlerhood, just like Grace did. We now have to watch and wait to see her risk for Asthma in result of her experience with RSV and for her lungs to fully heal it will take 17 months according to her Pediatrician. Through that experience I had many friends encourage and uplift me, it was one of the scariest moments of my life as a mom. Many of my friends sharing their moments in the NICU when their little babies were brand new with complete understanding of the helpless feeling you have when your tiny little one is sick or having a hard time. This is my way of paying it forward to them and to parents across the country who may face a scary situation one day with their babies. Please take a moment to watch this Public Service Announcement to gain a deeper understanding why it's important we continue to learn more and continue to help improve the outcome of Mom's and their babies.
Click Here to Support, Donate, and Learn more about my fundraising Goals for March of Dimes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...